I had my first class last night. Asian-American Literary & Cultural Studies -- a graduate seminar in the American Studies Department, cross-listed as an English course because of its heavy literary content. When I heard about the class, I jumped at it. What better way to begin my graduate studies than with a course focused on the history, psychology, and analysis of Asian-American artists, including writers?
Boy, oh, boy. Evidently, I did not pay very close attention to the course number -- as this seminar is actually a Ph.D.-level course... filled with uber-smart doctoral students in the departments of Asian & American Studies, Art History, Women's Studies, & English Language and LIterature. Zoinks! We went around in a circle to introduce ourselves. One by one, each student gave a brief introduction to their educational history and research interests. Truly, some of the most fascinating things I've ever heard! I can already tell that my 11 classmates are going to be some of the brightest scholars and professors of my time. Just to be clear, these students are eloquent & genuinely smart. Not stuffy... and definitely not "I'm going to use big words to seem smart," smart. I could tell this right off the bat.
I wrapped up the introductions. I was kind of feeling like an oddball as the only non-doctoral student, but I was so excited by all of their research, so I blurted out, "You guys are all so interesting!" :) Then I took my turn.
"Hi. I'm Nania. I'm a first-year MFA student in Creative Writing." *Present toothy smile.*
Luckily for me, these students are not just smart, they are also very gracious. People smiled back. They seemed excited to have me there. I continued.
"I did my B.A. at Kalamazoo College in English & Creative Writing, then took a left-hand turn and completed my M.A. at GWU in Speech & Hearing Sciences. I worked as a Speech Therapist in medical rehabilitation for 3 years, but really missed English & writing as a discipline. That's why I'm here. I chose to take this course because I'm interested in the contemporary multicultural conversation that takes place through creative writing. I'm a fiction writer, and hope to learn about Asian artists & literature so that I can be a more informed "conversationalist," I guess. I'm also interested in "trans-culturalism"... where people feel they are essentially caught in the middle of two different cultures -- and have experienced how alienating and difficult it is to live in the "in-between."
I could tell my face was bright red, but I instantly felt better because everyone around the table was nodding and smiling. My interests seemed really elementary compared to theirs, but I didn't feel badly about it. And even though that basically summed up my contributions in our first three-hour discussion, I felt like an oddball for sure, but at least I felt welcome. :)
The professor, Sarita, has a very happy affect -- a really positive, laid-back, uber-smart scholar of American Studies, with privileges in the English Department. She told us, "Don't get caught up in the grade. You all have an A. So there. You all have an A, so now we can feel free to be openly stupid together."
I think that's what I loved about this first class. Everyone is really intelligent, but in a well-meaning, down-to-earth way. Sure, they are intimidating, but I don't think they mean to be. I think they just want to learn. And they want others to learn from them. And I definitely did. I feel so lucky.
When the discussion of our readings began, I could tell that I had read the texts in a really one-dimensional way. -- This is what the author said. This is what I think it might mean. -- These students were able to find and excavate ideas & analyses from the second, third, even fourth dimensions of the text. People used words I did not understand. At one point, I caught myself with my mouth hanging open:
I felt badly about this, as I usually find it very unappealing when others let their mouths fall ajar... and have commented on this openly. Honestly, though... I think I was just trying to open up another portal to my brain. I mean, there was SO much coming at me... and it definitely was not all making it "in."
After three hours, I reached maximum capacity. My head started to hurt:
At one point, I think my brain was fizzing. Luckily, class was over. Sarita felt so badly about running a full three-hour class on our first day, she offered to take us to a seedy bar and buy us a drink. Alcohol optional... but definitely an option. I declined & apologized, as I had to zip out to try and catch the tail-end of a reading by one of my writing professors.
I didn't make it to the reading. But I think this was a good thing. My brain had been through enough for one day.
-NL


Let me start by telling you I'm super excited you're writing a blog!! I've been waiting to get to read something of yours and now I'll get to every day while I eagerly await your novel! Let me also tell you that I can't imagine you not feeling as smart as all these other brainy people at UofM. I can't even imagine myself sitting in that room. Hmmmm - thats what would be going through my head all class. And I love the pictures - really makes me feel like I was right there with you. Cant wait to hear more about your new life/school/wedding adventures!!
ReplyDeleteLove D
Thanks so much for including me in this exclusive group of early-adopters of the Nania blog! I'm excited to follow your life n' times in Ann Arbor (maybe better than I did at points when we lived ~3 miles apart?). Your first post reminded me that while I love Nania, I *really* love Nania-in-school. Takes me back to our days in Crissey and the spoon family...
ReplyDeleteSo proud of what you're doing, and excited to follow the ups and downs of your latest incarnation as a student (and get my regular dose of Nania-humor!). Go get 'em!
-jenny
I am also super excited about your blog! I'm so happy that you're living out your dream/calling/passion and sharing your experiences with us. So now, you're not just a 5-hour drive away, you're also a mouse click away - love it! Awesome first entry! I can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Cindy
Yaaay Nan! I know it's gonna be awesome! I'm actually jealous, I miss sitting in interesting classes (not that there were too many of those at GW). Sounds like things are off to a great start! I also noticed that you are wearing a hoodie .... does that mean that it is warmer than 90 degrees there? If so, I am extremely jealous.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to read more Nanlee (which by the way, Kevin thinks should be our pen name). As Dee said, this will help satiate my Nania writing needs until the novel is published :-)
love, S
Nan - it sounds like you're embarking on quite an intellectual adventure. And I'm excited to read about it! (and I'm honored to be named in the first post!)
ReplyDeleteAny chance I can get you to start a supplemental blog where you post synopses of each discussion in the Asian American class?
Or maybe just a "Phd Student's Highbrow Comment of the Day"?
Cyrus
Oh, Nania, I'm so excited to read about your life and times at U of M!!!! You are every single bit as smart as those other students--really. You are going to be a super star, just by being you. That's all you have to do. And now ends my cliched, Hallmark-style comment on your fantastic blog.
ReplyDeleteHello, Commenters!
ReplyDeleteDana: You should come to class with me. We would likely listen to what the others say, then look at each other and laugh in confusion. It might be fun!
Jenny: Ahh, the Spoon family. How I love to anthropomorphize. You'll likely see a lot of that on this blog. Thanks for reading... and subscribing! You were the first!
Cindy: Love you. Love you. :) Hope to drive to you soon!
Sarah M: Yes, definitely less than 90-degrees here... Yesterday, it was 54 when I woke up. I won't pretend I forgot how cold it gets in Michigan... I just forgot how quickly it happens!
Cyrus: Although I feel your supplemental blog request to paraphrase my Asian Lit lectures would likely help me process, understand, and remember each class... I think it could be a time-consuming and soul-crushing activity. But I'm absolutely certain I can fulfill your "Highbrow Comment of the Day" suggestion. I have about 40 of them written in my notebook already.
Sara W: If I'm a super-star, you're the whole galaxy of stars! That was cheesy, but Hallmark would love it. :) Cheers to you, the single most talented poet I met at K College. And the sweetest and most uplifting.